Sunday, July 12, 2009

My Personal Grief

Will a parent sit idly by as the child cries for help? Will a Marine allow a fallen comrade to languish in pain under enemy fire? How, then, do Christians allow others to die without giving them the Message of Salvation?

I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. 2 Timothy 4:1-5.


As a young man, when I was beginning to listen to preachers, I heard these words often filled with fire and brimstone, “We are living in a time…..” Unfortunately, these words are more true and precise today than they were 50 years ago. Our time today is more closely related to Biblical prophecy and the damnation of the living than yesterday. And those with the message are becoming more and more needed and pathetically more and more ashamed of the Gospel. Far too many have not read and fewer believe the strength of the words of the Apostle Paul, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.” Romans 1:16 AND “For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:18. Yes, we are living in a day and time of unashamed sin and shameful disobedience to the Word of God.

Herein stands my grief, my sorrow and my heart cry to those who carry the burden of the Cross, that is, the message of the Gospel of Salvation to a lost world. Look around you and observe those who are laughing and scorning the Bible and Christian faith. We are able, in Christ, to something about it. However, there time and ours is growing short.


I am working in a place where hundreds of folks pass by me every week. Sharing with them is difficult because of the vast numbers and I sometimes sit down in frustration because of these masses who do not know of Christ. As they pass by me, I cannot help but wonder, how many thousands more are passing by others who have opportunity to share, but are not? I am not boasting about what I do because I could do so much more….so much more. My word of encouragement is for other Believers to stand up and make proclamation of the Gospel Message.


Do not be fooled by what you see, either. Just last week a young lady stood before me with these words emblazoned across her shirt, “Got Jesus?”. I asked her, “How are you going to get to Heaven?” I almost laughed and cried at the same time. I was dumbfounded. Her response to me was, “I do not know”. Here I am asking the same question that she is carrying on her person, and she does not know the answer!


Mrs. Griffin was my 7th grade English teacher and on her board she had this phrase, “I can lead a horse to water, but I cannot make him drink”. Of course, she was making reference to her English classes, but the same can be applied to those who proclaim Jesus as Savior. Is it not true that many have been lead to the foot of the Cross, but have not drank from the River of Life?

This, then, is my personal grief….there are so many of us who are not taking the Word of God seriously. What are you doing with the Message of the Gospel of the Cross, the Message of Jesus Christ.


“Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness….” 2 Corinthians 9:10.

No comments:

Post a Comment